Thursday 11 December 2008

Birthday brekkie and tipple

DSC_5680 I had a very special brekky (translation: breakfast) on my birthday. We were heading out for a day at the British Museum to see the antiquities when we decided it was the perfect day to find a traditional full english breakfast aka "the full monty". By the way, to view any of the pictures shown, just click on the pic and it will load a full sized image for better viewing. I also have a few links in here with more information, go ahead a click on one to find out more about our day.

We took the tube from our local station at Queensway to Bond Street (central line) and then began our wandering search. It was a little chilly that day and a warm meal in our bellies sounded sooooo good. We eventually found a charming little pub called The White Horse. They were just opening up and we sat down in a nice booth.

DSC_5678 Brooke ordered a beer and I choose a pot of breakfast tea. I had to wait a while for the tea while their hot water was ready, but when I finally got it, I was very happy indeed. I enjoyed a sip of Brooke's morning tipple. A nice ale called Golden Glow, you can see a picture of the pub's guest ales. It's the one in between Santa's Tipple and Dirty Dick (I loved the names).

DSC_5672 When we received our breakfast we were very excited. It looked and smelled great. Our full monty was a huge plate with two fried eggs, cumberland sausage, bacon, roasted tomato, mushroom, baked beans and toast. We were smart enough to grab the camera and snap some photos of the plates and our happy mugs before we grabbed our forks and began.

DSC_5673 TUCK IN
I really loved the whole meal. The different flavors and textures were a winning combination in my book. I think the sausages were especially great. They had a crispy skin that snapped when you took a bite. I was especially pleased with the beans, tomato and mushroom. What an awesome combination to have with a fried egg. Some folks joke about the full english breakfast and how heavy it is ("heart attack on a plate") but it really isn't much different that any large DSC_5674 american breakfast, not including any country gravy. You could make an easy argument that beans, tomatoes and mushroom are much lighter in the stomach than a gut busting bile of hash browns or country fried potatoes. Their bacon is more like ham and it's relatively lean and very thinly sliced. Now, don't get me wrong, we were very full indeed when we finished our plates that didn't have a speck of food on them by the time we had devoured the lot. We didn't need any lunch and were full of energy for our next adventure, looking at the treasures of The British Museum.

I hope you enjoy some of the extra photos below. I had a great birthday and this was just the beginning.

DSC_5679

DSC_5676

DSC_5677

1 comment:

  1. My UK friends always referred to their greasy breakfast as "the fry up." Give me cereal, fruit, and yummy soy milk any day! SMI

    ReplyDelete