Friday 16 January 2009

Red Mill Burgers, Seattle WA

Red Mill Burgers in Seattle is a small place.  Unassuming.  Walk in and there are simple but clean booths, tables, and a side counter where you can eat when the place is packed.  The menu above the cash register lays before you a map to burger heaven.  My personal favorite is the Verde Burger (Fire Roasted Anaheim Peppers, Jack Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Red Onion, Mill Sauce), but I also really like the Bleu Cheese ‘n’ Bacon Burger.  The veggie burger option is also fabulous, so if you don’t do beef, Red Mill is still worth a visit. 

I walked with my friend Nathan up to the cashier and we ordered our lunches.  I chose the Verde Burger and Onion Rings.  Nathan decided on the same burger, but chose some fries to go with it.  Since we were going out for a coffee later, we skipped one of their excellent shakes or malts, but if you ever visit, I highly recommend those too.

When my burger arrived, it looked and smelled so good that I didn’t wait to take a picture until I had already taken a few bites.  The bun was soft and fresh, the produce crisp and the burger perfectly juicy.  The “verde” of the burger is a fire roasted anaheim chile charred over an open flame at Red Mill fresh each day.  It was smoky and piquant, but with a perfect texture.  An excellent addition to the burger.  Nathan seemed to really like his burger and fries too.  Can you tell?

Nathan enjoys his Verde Burger

Perfection in Onion Rings, Fries

Red Mill has hands down the best onion rings I have ever encountered.  The batter on the rings is delicate and light with a little cornmeal for texture and some spices mixed therein to compliment the onion.  I can detect cumin in the mix for sure and there may be onion seeds in there too.  Take a bite and it is crunchy and spicy with a burst of lightly fried onion flavor.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.  Nathan shared a few of my o’rings and he agreed they were great.  I tried his fries and they were excellent with a strong potato flavor, crispy texture outside and fluffy inside.  What  great combo.  Thanks for sharing with me Nathan!

Herkimer Coffee

After we left Red Mill, we drove over for a coffee at Herkimer Coffee.  There were some guys roasting some coffee in the roasting area.  The smell was astoundingly rich.  Nathan used to work for a specialty coffee roaster in Seattle and he knew one of the gents working the machine.  They talked shop for a while and I got a few photos.  Nathan took my order, “A cappuccino please” I said. “Just a little wet with lots of foam?”  he asked.  “Sounds Perfect." 

Nathan caught me snapping a pic, so he decided to show his dainty side.

The old coffee roaster used at Herkimer. The aroma was wonderful.

This was hands down the best cappuccino I have ever enjoyed.  The coffee was rich and the milk frothed to a silky perfection.

If you are ever in the neighborhood of Herkimer Coffee in Seattle, stop by and enjoy a cuppa, you won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment